Pro-Rata Leave Entitlement Calculation for UK New Joiners 📅 (UK Only)
What's New? ✨
The brand-new leave engine is now able to calculate pro-rata leave entitlement for new joiners, designed to streamline the process of determining holiday allowances for new employees based on their hire date. This feature ensures that businesses remain compliant with UK employment law and provide fair and accurate leave calculations that align with an individual's start date.
Why is this game-changing for my business? 🏋🏻♂️
- Deputy now automatically calculates leave entitlement based on an employee's start date, ensuring accuracy down to the day and in compliance with the UK Gov Holiday calculator. Say goodbye to manual calculations that can lead to errors and inconsistencies 👋🏼
- You no longer need to manually adjust leave balances for new joiners, saving time and reducing administrative burden.
How do I use this? ⚙️
Example 1: Sarah joins a Deputy business on May 15th in a full-time capacity, which is midway through the leave calendar (1st January - 31st December). With this new feature, her annual leave entitlement will be calculated based on the remaining months of the year. For instance, if the business has a holiday entitlement of 28 days per year, Sarah will automatically get 19 days of holiday.
Example 2: John starts his new role on September 1st in a part-time capacity, working 3 days a week. The leave year for his business starts on the 1st of April (UK Financial Year) and provides a statutory entitlement of 33 days every year. Upon joining, John will automatically receive 10 days of holiday.
- To use this feature, simply turn on the “Pro-rate leave entitlement for team members that join throughout the year” checkbox in the Leave Policy Builder for a given policy.
- Once this leave policy is assigned to a new joiner with the provided hire date in their profile, Deputy will automatically calculate their leave entitlement and deposit the balance in their leave balance bank for the first time.
- Note that this setting is only available for “Fixed” yearly and “Based on agreed hours” accrual schedules.
- This feature is now available to all businesses using Deputy's new leave policy builder and accrual engine.
Help or Feedback 📣
- A new help guide has been drafted on how this feature works and can be found here.
- Love this new feature or think it could be better? Go to Deputy > Help > Give us feedback